Puma H-Street - Shoe Wear Update

I got these upon insistence from my wife after coming back with blisters every time I went barefoot. It was the best decision ever for running. So far I've had this for a little over 3 months and covered about 240km. Its not the best wearing shoe for sure but what can I expect? its so light and thin (I could literally squeeze the water out of the shoe like a towel!) plus almost no padding. It has to be the next best thing compared to barefoot as far as shoes are concerned. Below is a shot of the sole indicating the wear.

When running in these shoes, I'm definitely not heel striking anymore BUT I do still land on the heel AFTER striking with the fore/mid foot. I've not done much detailed study into all the various ways of running barefoot but what I firmly believe is that once the shoes are off (or with a minimal shoe like the H-Streets), and you've persevered through the weirdness, aches and pains of doing so.....your body WILL ADAPT. It will adapt a method that will be bio-mechanically optimal for your build, weight, ability etc and it will enhance as time goes. Put a shoe in between the soles and the ground, the body goes out of whack trying to adapt to the springy foam, the arch support bla bla bla.....

240km & 3 months later

You must now think I'm crazy to do a sole-analysis...bear with me! its my blog!

- wear is very apparent from fore/midfoot striking
- wear from the rear heel is my usual lazy man drag on the heels (this is actually diminishing and the wear is likely from my first 1-2 months)
- there is no wear on the arch of my left foot, which is FLAT, this is good because I hope that over time, the arch will come back!

So my thinking is this every time I run

- the legs move but not stride
- landing can be varied by body positioning (heads up, shoulders straight etc), this is very fun and is adaptive
- speed can be varied by leaning at the hips (I just imagine this and it sorta happens)
- i try very hard not to bob up and down....i think there is a tendency for people to bob up and down when first doing barefoot running. I used to do this but it was too much on my calves and running is really not jumping!


My take on the foot bio-mechanics on landing


- forefoot strikes first
- midfoot soon after....this is where the arch crushes down a little acting as a shock absorber
- the heel lands after the arch has fully given way....little or no pressure is felt at the heel



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tecnotrat 'Saronni' and 'Others'

2011 NTU Bike Rally - Completed!

A Bad Week in Life, an OK Weekend for Cycling