Half Marathon and Something about Calories

This month has been dismal in cycling. I only covered a mere 250km up this this point of the month. Normally I would have racked up about 500km by now. No, I've not been lazy......I've been running. 110km covered on my minimalist shoes this month....about 35km of trail too. I guess after months of cycling quite intensively (by my standards even!) preparing for various events, I need some refreshing so that I may return to cycling more charged up than ever. I needed a diversion.

Running has been more than just a diversion. Its not a real competitor to cycling for sure. Why? because time for physical activities are scarce these days, for a married man with many kids. :) That and the fact that running is just about the most convenient, economical and effective physical activity one can do. Just about anyone can get good at it, given the proper dedication. For me, its been quite an adventure, especially working on the trail paths and then finally getting on the road to run them.

Here's a fact. 10km of running will burn about 900-1000 calories and currently this takes me a little less than an hour. 30km of TT pace on a bike will burn about 700-800 calories, and this takes the same time but much more 'prep'. I did 21km of running and this burned about 2000 calories.......80km of solo 30km/h bike riding only did for me 1700 calories again both activities taking up about the same time. There is no doubt : running is a huge calorie burn activity. Logical because it uses the biggest muscles in the body....namely the thighs and calves. On a bike, the calorie burn estimate could be even less because one can coast! When running, there is no relent, no drafting, just your legs moving one step at a time.

Just comparing the 2 activities I did this week : a 10km fast pace run (my fastest so far) and a 30km fast pace solo ride (maybe 2nd fastest on record). Both activities running for about 55mins.

10km run : 56mins - ave HR 164bpm, ave pace 5.37min/km, Calories : 980
30km ride : 55mins - ave HR 168bpm, ave speed 32.8km/h, Calories : 700

Intensity I would say is about the same (running does feel a bit worse due to the legs pounding the pavement about 10000 times over that hour!).

Another point would be weight loss. After my 21km run yesterday and downing over l litre of water, my weight shocked me : 82.1kg. Man I can't remember a time when I was that weight the past 10 years! The past 2 weeks of increased running intensity after TdB (which may have helped...), my weight is hovering between 83-84kg....compared to 86km previously. My target will be to go below 80kg! A combination of running, cycling and cutting down on carbs BUT increasing intake in vegetables and fruits every meal to stuff myself up should to the trick.

Here's the 21km run from yesterday and the 30km fast paced ride from the day previous to that.



So more goals to come for 2012, yet to be listed down. Weight reduction will be a big part of it. Getting myself into the 70's range will be ideal.....for TdB.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tecnotrat 'Saronni' and 'Others'

2011 NTU Bike Rally - Completed!

A Bad Week in Life, an OK Weekend for Cycling