Sony NEX-5n - 5 day Impressions

SONY NEX-5N

I bought this to replace my aging and bulky D70 last week. It was a major tussle between the Nikon V1 and this. Being a Nikon user for may years now, I really like what they offer but problem is they ARE a camera company and still somewhat traditional (like Canon!) so the feature-sets and size could be a bit too much for my liking. Not to mention the price as well!

I tested the V1 briefly at a shop last week and like the size (though i think its still a bit heavy) and build quality but I still can't get over that teeny sensor they put in that thing. Autofocus is very very fast and accurate plus its comes built in with an EVF BUT there is no flash. After much thought, I kept going back to the Sony NEX-5N and it reminded me a lot on how I liked the old DSC-F717 so much. Though retired, I daresay the 717 is STILL my favourite digital camera to-date. It has a very unconventional design (swivel lens), a usable EVF, pop-up flash, video and 5 megapixels...way back in 2002. It is also bulletproof as I took it to many rough trips. It sleeping right now in the dry cabinet.

The NEX 5N feels a lot like the 717 but of course this time its back with a vengeance; 16 megapixels, APS-C HUGE sensor, flash accessory, 1080p up to 60p(!), touch swivel screen and all sorts of other features that are practical. The in built HDR works quite well too but honestly not as good as if done on the PC but still amazing.

I blew my budget and got the EVF as well. This thing is amazing.....2.4 megapixels in a tiny hole. Its sharp and also damn freaking expensive.

Some really good things that I like about this camera so far.

Feel
- the lens is the handling part, not the body, just like the 717. Some cameras can't decide which is the pivot point.
- the body is very light yet solid but could be better if it was slightly longer at the grip portion
- buttons are well placed though one can accidentally hit the

Function
- the tiltable LCD and EVF is really useful
- buttons are customizable!

Performance
- low light performance is amazing, my indoor shots even at night never looked better (daresay to be on par with even the F1.4 Nikkor lens that I have)
- Autofocus could be faster (definitely not a contender with the V1 which totally rocks this part)
- HD video is pretty damn good
- HDR function is great!
- 10 fps with first electronic curtain shutter : very fast and much less vibration compared to the NEX-5

Overall, I'm happy with this purchase and hope that it will last me a good 4-5 years at least. With the kids growing up and all, I just need something that has good performance, handy, practical features, good video as well and the NEX-5N simply fits the bill for me.

I've looked at the Fuji X100, Olympus E-PL3 and Panasonic mirrorless cameras as well but truth be honest, I am not a big fan of that Leica look, I think it looks GREAT but seriously? why? its like packing a full quad turbo V8 engine with direct-engage transmission into a Fort Model T. I just don't get it. If you want a Leica. Get one. Ben recommended the Canon S100. I won't bother to even go there cos' its Canon and worst of all its a souped up point and shoot camera (just like a VW GTI, being mis-contrued as a sports car, it never has been and never will be).


The DSC-F717


This camera sure brings back loads of memories. Bulletproof and highly dependable. Sony has not departed much in terms of design and look for their NEX series. This looks a lot like the NEX 7, which is of course way out of my reach!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tecnotrat 'Saronni' and 'Others'

2011 NTU Bike Rally - Completed!

A Bad Week in Life, an OK Weekend for Cycling