NTU Bike Rally 2012

170km covered for the event, giving a total of 188km for the day, taking into account to and fro rides to the F1 Pit. This ride was tough. Despite all the stops every 18-20km or so, its still tough! It was hot as hell too! Starting out, I was not feeling as great as I did last year due to the fact that I have massively scaled down on my cycling (only twice a week now). The initial pace was not very fast but it soon pick up speed after the West Coast Part rest stop. Reached the next few rest stops in the front pack. JM was doing well tailing right behind me.

Scary moment at Tuas. I was together with a group right behind the safety car. Some guy had this event singlet tied to this seatpost. I noticed this early on and I thought it was a bit dangerous as it could just come off its poorly tied know and get stuck in the wheel or something. And then it happened! His rear wheel locked and being right behind him I hit him from the side....I was going "oh dear I'm gonna fall" but luckily both of us maintained balance. Managed to unclip and get myself untangled. I was cursing and swearing at that point! I think this gave Ben a good scare as well as he was right behind me.

After the NTU stop, we rode off with the lead group and found ourselves battling headwind at LCK. I took the lead there a few times but this proved to be draining on me! My energy was sapped as the heat got more intense. At this time, only Ben was with me, we slowed down and JM caught up. KL was still out back but met up again later along the way. Upon reaching the Turf City stop at about 90km, I decided that I will not push for as unlike last year, it was difficult to see which was the group to draft. The 128km and 168km groups were all mixed together and people were arriving and leaving the stops as they pleased. Actually, Ben and I did a fair amount of pulling of the train!

JM left after the Pasir Ris park stop (he has hit 161km or so). KL was visibly tired and Ben was going as well. I was pretty tired too but no cramps, just the general drained and baked feeling. I led them both from Pasir Ris to the NSRCC stop and then all the way till the pit. Stefan was also following us for a while from NSRCC but his group fell back at Coastal Service road.

We slowed the pace down to suit everyone in the group and completed the entire route with a ride time of slightly over 6hrs of ride time. Thank goodness it was raining towards the end as I was literally getting baked in the sun! My ass was gone by then! It has gone all tender from not riding enough.

I think we did pretty well, the pit was rather empty as we arrived. We promptly got ourselves to the Geylang kopitiam for some well deserved milo-ping and maggi goreng.

Comparing to last year, I lack the aggression and the confidence and ride fitness. Last year I rode my guts out and reach all the last few stops with the front pack. I even rode to the point of thigh cramps and still rode some more!

Nice event and definitely a good prep ride for the upcoming Kuantan century next month.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tecnotrat 'Saronni' and 'Others'

2011 NTU Bike Rally - Completed!

A Bad Week in Life, an OK Weekend for Cycling