Weekend 36km Midnight Run

The plan was to do 36km at my usual time of 5.30am on Saturday but on Friday night, I had problems getting to sleep. After rolling about the bed for about 1.5hrs and feeling pretty frustrated not being able to sleep (I could end up not sleeping till 2am and hence there goes my plan), I popped out of bed and got ready for the run. I was pretty sure it was going to rain but went anyway and hoped for the best.


Started at 12.20am with just modest pace. In the beginning, I felt quite good actually and the legs went smooth. It was my first experience running at ECP at this time and I was pleasantly surprised with so many people still at ECP going about there relaxation activities. Macs was full and the lagoon still looked pack at 1am in the morning. The coastline was basically filled with people having their BBQ and tents set up. Looks like some carnival at ECP past midnight!

Pass SAFRA, I turned into the Park Connector road next to Outward Bound....now that's like the creepiest place to run at that time. Totally devoid of people, although well lit, felt constant chills all over my body going pass that area. I u-turned a bit into coastal straight after about 9+km. All this while it was VERY WINDY and the skies were littered with lightning....but families and everyone else were pretty about doing their business regardless, pretty cool. It started to rain at 15km and developed into a heavy downpour almost immediately. It was so cold that at this point I was shivering in the wind and flailing water. I stopped at 18km point to refill on isotonics and to take a leak. The rain was so heavy, I was contemplating on cutting it short to 21km or something as I was very close to my starting. I just pushed on into the rain, passing all the occupied shelters all along the park pathway. Believe me, I looked into everyone of them and contemplated on waiting the rain out.....of course, me being me, I didn't.

Continued on until 30km point (same at 18km point) to refill and answer nature's call.....went out for the last 6km but after about 500m....the big one came calling....had to stop again to answer this one. The rain had quiten down a little by now and I pushed for the final 3km. My HR was pretty much sedate the entire run and pushing it up was quite a chore. Despite the heavy legs, managed a decent pace for the final 3km. Upon completion I was thinking to get a beer at the 24hr pub near to the starting point but I was just too tired....just went back cooked some noodles with and egg and went to sleep!

Failed to complete in 4hrs (moving time, I mean), Failed to complete in under 7min/km. Yet, I'm pretty pleased that 1) I survived 2) I did not give up 3) Its still a PB for anything 30km and more.

I rank this run up there with the 42km run I did 2 months ago...perhaps even a little bit worst!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tecnotrat 'Saronni' and 'Others'

2011 NTU Bike Rally - Completed!

A Bad Week in Life, an OK Weekend for Cycling