Weekday Runs

I decided to take it easy these few weekdays. Basically just to let my body recover a bit from the punishment I handed to it the past 2 months. Last month's running mileage was a bit much. March was already high but I had a crazy 42km outing in that month whereas in April, I did not. With only 5 days of rest, I survived April with 260+km on the foot and 430+km on the pedal.

Originally wanted to take on the 36km MTP distance on Monday but it was a bad day (woke up with some diarrhea). Within 2 mins of starting; heavy rains. Had to stop for another toilet session at 6km point then I conceded that I can do not much more and completed just 15km, more than half of which was in the rain. Pace was a paltry 6:14 min/km.



I just did not want to do anything on Tuesday, just rest in and eat. Had the best sleep in months....basically slept at 10pm and woke at 8+am. Wow, for the first time in a long time I woke up not feeling groggy....so this is how waking up feeling fresh is like! But me being me, will never allow extended periods of such pleasure. A mark of complacency. 

I need to get out and smell the roses and amidst the pain, the pleasure rises!

I thought the rest was good enough for me so wanted to try for the long distance on Wednesday but heck....too much rest I guess....only managed to sleep at 1.30am! Woke up groggy and just went for a 10km run. Tried socks on minus the shoe insole on the Kinvara's.



Did a barefoot outing on Thursday, just a short 10km. Got a bit worried (only a little!) when I saw the roads were wet. Wet pavement + bare soles normally equals to tender soles! Right I was. Within the first 3-4km, could already start to feel the tenderness but I have to also attribute this to the fact that I've not been on bare soles since Run350 2 weeks ago and that was on great asphalt (Nicoll H'way). I ran past the Fort Road ECP path went up the metal bridge (which was way wet!) and continued into the new path which leads to a dead end (I suspect this WILL sooner or later open up to the Easy Bay Gardens which I fondly look forward to!).

Due to the soles hurting I kinda slowed but for the last 3km, I was trying to catch up with a slow jogging couple. I eventually overtook them but they caught up soon after (they were slow because they were warming up to intervals!) and at the last 1km, they shot into an interval and I (arrogantly) kept up and even sprinted ahead (sorry!). That was the last km or so which gave me a good average speed for the last km (5:08 min/km). They caught up with me slowing self on their 2nd interval and was no where to be seen when I stopped.


Soles felt ok except some formation of new blisters. These new breed of blisters are different from the 'virgin sole' blisters. These were not painful and had thicker skin. Its blister for the seasoned barefoot sole! There's a minor bruise on the sole of my right fore foot. 

I'm basically resting for Friday in anticipation for long distance Saturday (tomorrow). I hope the weather will be kind (well at least don't start raining before I head out!). Target will be to try for below 7min/km pace. Hopefully the rest will help.

PS : No exercise today. Weighed in at 79.3kg after coffee and dump.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tecnotrat 'Saronni' and 'Others'

2011 NTU Bike Rally - Completed!

A Bad Week in Life, an OK Weekend for Cycling