2012 Sundown Marathon Training Review


I started training for the Marathon using the above 12-week plan in March, right after doing a 42km Feeler Run (which took me a good 5hrs 30mins to complete, including stops). The initial goals were pretty high. Marathon pace was set at 6:00min/km, probably a bit too high as a first Marathon goal. I followed through until week 5 were the training took its toll on the knees (probably coupled with the fact that I was concurrently preparing myself for the Kuantan Century ride as well...) and at least 1+ week of slow running down time.

After that I concluded that I should shoot for Marathon pace of 6:15min/km. Things started to look ok but still deep within I was a bit skeptical if that could even be achieved over such a long distance. A good thing that came out from the training was that I was able to hit consistently below 6:00min/km pace for 21km towards the 2nd half of the training plan. A realistic target for me in the end was to try to hit 6:30min/km.

The reality : 6:44min/km and I'm still happy!

Things I've learned from this long arduous program:-
  • halfway through the program, you should already stick to one shoe for your Marathon. I bought Kinvaras and tried the Merrell (thank goodness these work well for trails!) and in a last desperate effort the NB 730, but eventually went back to my original minimalise shoe : the Puma H-Streets.
  • thought i could deal with the thigh chafing problem from the cheap 10 dollar FBT shorts by spending on Zoot compression, Nike shorts with built in tights but these proved to introduce other kinds of worse chafing in the nether regions. I ran the marathon with the 10 dollar FBTs which I bought early on when I started running again last year. To remedy the thigh chafing : Vaseline. Just wished I tried it earlier. Damn thing works like a dream for the nips and thighs on Marathon day!
  • rest rest rest rest.....I think the double training period with cycling and running really took its toll on my body. When in doubt, rest!
  • acclimatization is important and I did not do this well....as a result was a bit sleepy going into the Marathon which starts at 12.30am! I should have had my last 2 weeks of training at night and start 'sleeping late' ...
  • stay away from 'cooling' drinks a week before Marathon!
  • weight loss is not always good. In this case I felt tired 3/4 way through the program, weighing in at 78+kg. I had to consciously eat more going into the Marathon (+rest) and felt much better come event day.
Despite the pain and suffering.....I'm looking forward to my next long run event!


Comments

Mo Xia Ke said…
Maybe can start doing some 5 and 10 km speed training. The endurance is there already. Now the pace.

Popular posts from this blog

Tecnotrat 'Saronni' and 'Others'

2011 NTU Bike Rally - Completed!

A Bad Week in Life, an OK Weekend for Cycling