25km Run (Part of MTP)

I was meaning to do my key run #1 (3.5km x 2 at Tempo with 1km Recovery in between) on Wednesday morning. Woke up early, got 'dressed' and as I was heading out, the drizzle got heavier (and heavier....basically rained the whole day). Damn. God's will I guess. Anyway, that was Wednesday's story. Thank goodness the next day was ok. Clouds and a bit of faint drizzle. I did key run #2 (25km at easy long run pace with last 30mins increasing to marathon pace).

Started out with a pace of 6:30min/km. Well, for an easy pace, it was defined as the speed where I could just be able to comfortably sing "happy birthday to you" and guess what, I did that check a couple of times along the way, except that the pace was ~6:40min/km. The route is the 'extended ECP 21km route' with the extended parts being coming back into ECP via the Coastal road link and one extra round of the lagoon. This gave a flat 25km distance. I was thinking that it would be easy to run at this pace but I was wrong.....starting slow and sticking to a certain pace is not easy at all. For some reason, the body will find a way to slow down....its just plain and naturally lazy. Actually, upon the 18km mark (pass the starting point), I had to make quite a fair bit of effort to speed up gradually to my marathon pace of 6:00 min/km. This is evident from the super rising HR!

The last 5km was tough. Just raised gradually from 6:30min/km to 6min/km with the last 3km at slightly faster than MP. Managed to complete the final 5km at MP pace, on average. Well, I underestimated this exercise. It was tougher than I expected......maybe part of it was due to the fact that I just got back from the holidays. 25km completed in 2hr 44mins....average pace of 6:34min/km.

Good thing was that what I've gained over the 3 day weekend splurge in terms of weight is lost after that run and of course careful eating on Wednesday. Weighed in at 79.3kg after the run (pre-hydration).

Now I have to find some way to complete run #1 within this week!! I plan to do a long bike ride tomorrow (100km+). Sunday perhaps...its only an 8km run.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tecnotrat 'Saronni' and 'Others'

2011 NTU Bike Rally - Completed!

A Bad Week in Life, an OK Weekend for Cycling