Weekday Moves...and the Kinvara 2 Unveiling

Post 42km Run.....had a well deserved rest on Sunday and brought the kids for breakfast treat. I wore my Zoot compression shorts for recovery and looks like it worked. I was ok to start running again on Monday.

Monday

Starts my 12 week Marathon Regime. First one is to do 2.5km tempo pace x 3 with ~1km recovery jog in between. Legs were still off but managed to complete with tempo pace at 5:15min/pm. Not too bad.



Tuesday

I look forward to my barefoot runs. Met up with Ryo at my block and we went for a 'chat pace' barefoot run. Only for the last 2km or so did we pick up the pace. He went off pretty quick and it was quite a struggle to catch up! We covered quite a fair bit....10.5km. Had a quick drink after that and off to work.



Wednesday

My very much delayed bike ride. I've not gotten on the bike since the Bike Rally 2 weeks ago. I prepped my SS over the weekend and decided that I should put some distance on it this week. Did about 31km/h average for the ECP-Coastal-ECP route on the Single Speed. Actually quite intense! The ride of the SS as usual, is sublime better than the Parlee by far but of course not as versatile and trick. Only wished had someone to ride with!



Thursday

This is the 2nd key exercise for week 1. A 21km run at '10% slower than Marathon Pace'. Well for me, the target Marathon Pace (I still think its quite unattainable for me!!) is 6:00min/km and I consider this an average pace over 42km. So for this exercise, I should target 6:30min/km pace. Armed with my spanking new Saucony Kinvara 2 (yes I decided to get something with some padding after the 42km bout), I went sockless in a brand new shoe, in its virgin run, completed 21km. Managed to do 5:58min/km. My last personal best was my waterless run last week where I did 6:05min/km. However, my HR was on 'high side' averaging 157bpm for the entire run. Got on the scale after the run and semi-hydrated: 79kg.


But what about the shoe? Well it has an almost flat profile (4mm heel to toe), pretty comfortable and I really like the design. Looks like a shark or something (a slow shark, when I wear it). In the first 2-3km, it felt kinda strange and it was squishy....maybe a phenomenon only because I've been on barefeet or in shoes with virtually no padding. However after a while, the shoe seems to 'disappear'. Its very light as well. I do find the 4mm heel-toe still a tad much and would very much prefer a true flat padded sole. I ran sockless and it felt great, no blisters and the toe box was quite roomy actually (not Merrell roomy but definitely more roomy than the Pumas). I think its a good shoe, for the fact that I just took it on the first run and did 21km with no dramas. Well, lets see if I get some funny kind of alien aches later today or tomorrow!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tecnotrat 'Saronni' and 'Others'

2011 NTU Bike Rally - Completed!

A Bad Week in Life, an OK Weekend for Cycling