12 Week Marathon Training Programme

Actually, this was quite irrelevant to me since I already did 42km on my own prior to this training. The goal of this training is then of course to see if I could do it at a considerably faster pace than my 'feeler' run earlier this month. I target the marathon pace of 6:00min/km, which will give me roughly, a 4hr 15min Marathon. This is going to be tough and truthfully, I'm not gonna make it! Still, aiming high is good.

I wanted a training programme that is more flexible and not something which is regimented day by day. This 12 week program was from Runner's World (I think) and I converted it to metric to suit my metric-trained-mind. The programme basically covers 12 weeks (just nice till Sundown) and defines 2 key workouts for each and every week. It also defines how much these workouts should account for, in terms of mileage percentage, for your weekly mileage target. So the extra runs apart from these 2 workouts can be simple, easy runs, I decide!

So far, I've survived the first week and now halfway through the 2nd. I think it makes quite good sense but its only recommended for people who have been doing at least 20+km or more per week minimum for couple of months. The training never really covers the entire 42km in any key run defined but builds you up for it, using a combination of easy, tempo and marathon paced key workouts. Well, its quite fun to follow this, at least as a beginner runner, I have some direction to move towards the mammoth 42km run.

Still, quite a challenge with Kuantan Century coming up next week (160km of bike ride in unknown territory!). I've not been biking enough so rest assured, the event will be a big torture fest for me. After Kuantan, it will be 90% time on this plan. The rest are for rides. I have the whole of June and part of July to cover the loss in biking heading into Ipoh Century (and possibly some climbs).

For the benefit of 'anyone' reading in....here's my 12 week MTP.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tecnotrat 'Saronni' and 'Others'

2011 NTU Bike Rally - Completed!

A Bad Week in Life, an OK Weekend for Cycling