Life over the Weekend

Ah, what a good 3 days....

Certainly 2 highlights was 1) Run350 with my Wife 2) Both my kids can ride the 2-wheel bike!

On Saturday, to give my legs from the Faber torture the previous day, I opted to go for the 'an hour or less of moving time challenge to Siglap kopitiam" something Ryo and me cooked up while riding at those ungodly early hours just to kill the boredom. This was to be the last time I will use the MotoACTV (until they clean up their act on the website and the TCX export). The best time for this was done in January with Ryo where as a team we averaged 33.1km/h to cover that 32km of start and stops (with some slopes). I set the virtual partner on MotoACTV for 32km distance and 1hr time.

This time out I was solo and did not expect much from this ride except, just do it. Started out ok at the service road and just managed to pip the VP but lost out again at the park area leading to the coastal road...however at Coastal, I turned it on and went to 35km/h average speed...hit by headwind towards Changi Village but still managed 32+km/h...at Loyang some guys was trailing me. I did not realize until the stop right before Loyang slope where he just suddenly said "strong legs huh?" and asked me where I was going. I was kind on my track so I mumbled something to him as the lights went green and I shot off. I couldn't care less if he followed or not. Up Loyang, I kept speed above 31km/h peaked at 34km/h....no easy task on a 4-5% grader but short. Slowed down at Shell just to catch my breath a bit and pushed on. The guy was no where to be seen. A lot of traffic lights from this point on and when he did finally catch up, he ran a red light and passed me while I was waiting for the greens.

I was surprised to see myself pushing 33+km/h all the way with no problems and actually felt I could still do better after the ride. This is a personal best, averaging 33.5km/h, moving time of about 57:30mins (about 5 mins of stopped time due to the lights! more than normal). I share the true data on the MotoACTV site below as the conversion of its CSV file is not taken well by the other sites (either crazy fast or crazy slow).




Sunday : Run350 day.

I joined this 10km run to accompany the wife on her running journey. This is actually a good thing as since she joined about 2 months ago, she has been running once a week, 10km a time and has done well for her weight! She has been quite critical on me going with her on her runs as I've been known to be rather impatient and quite pushy (this one Ryo can tell you!) on any activity...so I think I proved her wrong on event day.

About 10000 participants this year...its largest yet since it was conceived 2 years ago. We were in the 2nd wave of the 10km 'competitors'. Right before they started, off with the shoes. I'm going barefoot on this one. Kept at a pace of 7+ min/km but as time went on she was getting spent and went to 8+ min/km towards the end. This is my first running event and I must say, its pretty cool. I just ran along side her all the way and get her a drink from the stations while she continued on. When she was real tired towards the last 2-3km, I pushed her from the back.....one hand pushing the other holding my shoes....must have been quite a sight.

Spotted another 4 barefoot runners (Please, those on Vibrams are not barefoot!) and we acknowledge each other. I think some people passing me were quite curious I think but I'm just happy to spread the news to people that yes, your soles can last 10km or even more! Running on the paved road, Nicoll Highway in particular was quite nice....better than ECP! Good asphalt is better than rough cement anytime baby!

Completion time : 1hr 20mins.....a personal best for my wife (her previous best was about 1hr 21mins). I'm happy for her and hope that she'll continue with her running journey. Check out the cool 'pewter-like' medal. Nice touch and definitely look collectible....




My Kids can Ride! (a 2 wheeled bike)

So in the afternoon I told myself that I needed to get the boys on the 2-wheeled bike. Took off the trainer wheels and lo-and-behold, my eldest son took off just like that. Absolutely no problems whatsoever and even went up and down a slope about the open area below my block. I bought him a bigger bike that I wanted him to learn but to no avail. All it took was for him to use his brothers smaller bike and off he went!

Then came my 4 year old son...took a couple of minutes and in no time, he was cycling too! Admittedly still a bit shaky with the hands but he can do it unassisted except for starting off. Starting off was a bit difficult as since it was a coaster bike (you brake by applying force to the pedal in the OTHER direction, you could not position it for a take off properly) but he'll be there in no time.

So that was easy I thought. In no time, I hope they can go with me on a roadie trip! One necessary skill accomplished and awaiting further nurturing. Can't wait to equip them with a Di2 bike.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tecnotrat 'Saronni' and 'Others'

2011 NTU Bike Rally - Completed!

A Bad Week in Life, an OK Weekend for Cycling