Monday 10km Run

I just had to make myself go through this 10km speedwork....its part of the MTP. Basically, to do my best 10km speed at this point in time. Now, I got nothing against speedwork just that everytime I go out there to run my best speed, I get injured some way or another. So I thought ok, lets just wear the Kinvaras and my make-do sock compression for my calves and head out. I was so eager to get it over and done with that I did not even do my stretches/warm-up properly.

Shot out at 5min/km speed....managed to hold on for 3km but soon deteriorates as I feel aches on my left leg, so I stopped to push down both socks...better. Could only do 5:14min/km pace for the first 5km.....matches my personal best for this distance. This was it, my pace kept dropping after that to a mere 5:40+ pace. I thought to myself that I will do a fast run for the last 2km after I u-turn from the lagoon. Legs just did not feel right.

Right after I u-turned, all of a sudden, the winds started to pick up. I got a bit scared really as it was very abrupt and the winds were very very strong. The extent of its strength; leaves, sand and twigs were flying everywhere (had to shield my eyes as I run) and I could feel the wind coming from the left-front.....I could feel it pushing me to the side and I needed to actually lean into the wind to gain any good speed. Minutes later, the rain started and it poured. I mean it POURED. My contacts were almost washed away by the combination of rain and wind. I just pushed on since there was only about a 1km left.

I got back to my block a bit early and winds were crazy. Basically, anyone would be rained upon even under a shelter! I helped my wife and kids into the car and send them off for their daily routine. Nothing to lose since I was already 110% drenched (rain + sweat). My Kinvaras got a good rinse-off from that bout. I forgot to do my warm down stretches.

Aftermath : Knee pain.

Right Knee - the usual inside of the right knee is more sore that usual but this is manageable. I know the stretching regime helps this.

Left Knee (!) - this is pain in the front/top of the knee. feels suspiciously like the knee pain I had years before from climbing Loyang on my Saronni. Its not as intense but I'm wary.

Think I may need to rest a day or two (resting today : Tuesday)....will see how it is tomorrow morning. I wonder if the shoe had anything to do with it! Likely the tight compression sock.....I dunnno.....depressing.

Target for tomorrow will be to do Wk5 Act1 which is less stressful. I have an official fear of speedwork! Given the choice between a slow 30km vs a 10km TT.....I'll take the long distance anytime.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tecnotrat 'Saronni' and 'Others'

2011 NTU Bike Rally - Completed!

A Bad Week in Life, an OK Weekend for Cycling