East Coast to Mt.Faber Run and Peripherals

Completed the highlight of this week today.

Took the opportunity as I was clearing my leave anyway and went out for my 33km run on Friday. Started out mundane...the plan was to run around ECP to get the 33km done but approaching Fort Road, I was thinking if there was anyway I could do this more interestingly since I've been looping ECP all this while. Right before the u-turn at the end of ECP, I decided that I should run to Mt.Faber, following my usual cycling route.

Pace was decent in the beginning but I was getting annoyed by the music skipping on the MotoACTV which started along Nicoll Hway. I gave up on the music and just kept the phones. Legs were feeling strained already and it was only about 10km going into Shenton Way. The streets of Shenton Way, as expected, were deserted. Running along the streets there, I could smell and feel the air conditioning, escaped from all the crevices of tall buildings. I also notice that the streets were strewn with coffee shops....the aroma of coffee was quite nice and it lingers around the streets...seriously!

Soon I was on Keppel Road and then into West Coast highway where I made right into Kg. Bahru road....the entrance to the steepest ascent of Mt.Faber....I literally crawled up. Its just 1.5km up but the steepest parts just took it out of my legs and at the top, it was halfway. Legs were pretty much gone by then. Ran back down via Morse Road and passed by Vivo City before joining back into Keppel Road. Amazing....just an hour have passed and Shenton Way is already bustling. Cars were polluting the air that I require to oxygenate my blood for this run. Too a turn towards Marina Bay Sands...wow.....that area is huge and running there is like running around Tiananmen Square in Beijing. Artificial.....but majestic nevertheless. I ran through the connecting bridge to the float area and towards Suntec city. I recalled many years back during uni times where I actually took my bike up Benjamin Sheares....found the entrance...its there but to access it I have to run through some grassy field. Clearly, its not recommended for public use. Great view from up there!

The exit from the bridge took me to Tg. Rhu. It was just at the entrance of the East Bay Gardens....did not go in as I was pretty sure there was no through road into ECP. The final 5km + from there was pretty much pure suffering....mostly because it was back on familiar roads :) Pace including stop time was very slow! about 7:30 or so. Moving pace is about 7 I guess. Stopped a couple of times....Tg. Pagar MRT for toilet break and water refill, SPC station for Pocari refill and ECP for water refill.

Right after the run, I rewarded myself with Red Bull, Bandung and Wantan Mee. My body was beaten hard, but the soul soared. I was in the Puma H-Streets...the newer pair. No issues with Sole pain.



Nothing much from earlier week except for a nice barefoot run with Ryo on Tuesday. Got a foot blister on this one but fully recovered within a day. About 11.5km covered on this one.



Went for a ride on Wednesday. Had my MotoACTV set with Virtual Partner. It worked as I hit I think my 2nd best time on this course....54mins 17s for 30km. Good stuff.



On the MotoACTV....I'll post more tomorrow on some update in thought on this device.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tecnotrat 'Saronni' and 'Others'

2011 NTU Bike Rally - Completed!

A Bad Week in Life, an OK Weekend for Cycling