Sunday 30km Run

I have been planning this for the past couple of days. The early plan was to complete 34km which is a loop covering ECP - Coastal - Changi - Loyang - Bedok Reservoir and back via the park connector. The thought of going up Loyang on foot at the 24km point was pretty much unbearable since I felt that I have not fully recovered from the previous day ride yet! Even so, the show must go on; I had to feel a true long distance run. So finally on Sunday morning, I decided to go for my usual ECP - Coastal - ECP 30km bike route -- on foot.

Started with a slow pace.....my initial target was to complete the 30km NOT WALKING at any point but later changed my mind and set a target pace of 7min/km (which I failed, of course). Upon reaching the East Coast Sailing club I was already doing 7+min/km pace......and my bowels were moving. There was a toilet there but I decided that I was ok to go and could control it. It was a mistake as it came in on and off for the next 8km! Fortunately for me, at the u-turn point .... exactly 15km from start was Changi Coast Park and there is a WC facility there. Did my business, filled up my bottle and went off. Felt much better and relaxed after that. If you think Coastal was LONG when on a bike, try running! By that time, there was quite a fair bit of guys running and cycling on the path and on the roads as well so it was quite good to see some faces to detach myself from the strain and pain.

The Nathan Quickdraw Plus I bought last week felt strange initially but was a godsent post 15km. I had my phone and drink in my hand pretty comfortably. Reaching ECP again was gave me bit of a lift and I stopped to refill my bottle again at the WC right after the sailing club. As I had coin with me, I got myself a COLD ISOTONIC drink from the machine....that gave me an instant boost and I could improve my pace a bit to carry be through the final 5-6km. I felt like I was still in control of my pace, though the legs were already kind of weary from the pavement pounding. HR stayed a steady 130-135bpm throughout with a slight increase towards the end and a final 300m 'sprint' to the end point.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tecnotrat 'Saronni' and 'Others'

2011 NTU Bike Rally - Completed!

A Bad Week in Life, an OK Weekend for Cycling