Deepavali 2011 Activities

Morning RIDE

I did not join the rare Masher ride scheduled for 6.30am (they planned to do the Eastern loop, a relatively flat course, avoiding Mandai altogether) as I needed to be back by 8am. Thus, I set out on my own at 5am to do the East West 80km loop.....basically to Tuas and back. the plan is to do a achieve a post 30km/h ave on my own without killing my legs. The route is relatively flatish so no problems. I was on a moderate pace when I caught up with a group of 8 riders at Nicoll. I opted not to overtake them but also not to draft them so I kept a distance of at least 5-6 bikes away.

They were doing pretty much moderate speed about 30-32km/h. I waited for them to attack the pace at the Viaduct but it didn't happen and they remain at that same 32km/h pace.....so I overtook them and went at it to post 36km/h speeds at the viaduct. Surprisingly, no one gave chase. At the end of the viaduct, I took a quick peek behind me and they were out of sight. I slowed down to moderation at at a traffic light along Jalan Buroh, they caught up with me This time, they went much faster, at the highest slopes, the front 3 including a lady attacked leaving the group behind.....I came from behind to catch up with them before the highest point. Either they had to wait for the others or just tired because after that I was on my own again.

The road to Tuas from then on were pretty much deserted but there was a stretch after the petrol kiosk (at the one and only slope) where the street lights were OFF.....that bit was kinda scary. I hit at least 2 bit potholes (I was blind) and one of them was a scary bump! I slowed down to make sure my spokes are all intact and the wheels are still in true. Luckily, they survived! I wanted very much to hit 31km/h average but alas on the way back at the Viaduct, there was some headwind. My fastest average during this ride was 30.8km/h....completed the course with 30.5km/h. Still boggles me how I managed 31.5km/h early this year!

Reached home 7.50am! The Masher gang as I've heard had a good ride too. KL told me that he averaged 30.7km/h prior to the lagoon where they stopped for the post ride breather.




Evening RUN

I was looking forward to this one run with JM and Yilmaz. The weather was very cooling as it was raining on and off. JvM and Kuan joined as well. These guys are fast paced runners in comparison. Kicked off at 5.30pm and started at a relatively quickish pace for me at ~5.50min/km. Surprisingly, I felt very comfortable with this pace even until the 7km point....had to slow down a few times as Yilmaz was lagging. He wasn't accustomed to post 7km distances yet. As we double backed at Fort road, it started to POUR. I mean POUR, very seriously. It was great! JvM and Kuan just pranced along until they disappeared out of sight! JM slowed down for the both of us as well, a nice and appreciated gesture of course!

Unfortunately soon after a short walk/rest and restart, JM and me dropped Yilmaz again at the seafood centre. We continued on to Bedok Jetty. I decided to do a small loop around the lagoon. JM helped to up the pace a bit and I nearly folded. Despite the hitches, I'm pretty satisfied with my run this evening. Hey, I just did 80km in the morning!

Rehydration for me and JM came in Tiger bottles. We agreed earlier not to drink during the run and would only drink beer that night. I enjoyed that first beer (which I gulped 90% down)....best I've had in years! JM was kind enough to treat us to great food as well at the lagoon food centre.

Great night out!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tecnotrat 'Saronni' and 'Others'

2011 NTU Bike Rally - Completed!

A Bad Week in Life, an OK Weekend for Cycling