5k PR and Weekend Base Ride

Friday was supposedly a rest day for me but since the parents are in town and they wanted to do a ECP slow walk, I thought I just joined them for a while.....while I do a short 5km. I've always wanted to better my 5km speed/time but haven't the chance to do so during the past many weeks due to 'marathon commitments'. I can't say if I'm fully recovered or anything but its sure worth a shot and let's face it : Its 'only' 5km!

Started strongly and maintained below 5:00 min/km pace.....I guess I was a bit overzealous and the first 2km was about 4:40min/km. This took me out pretty good and the next 3km pace was to suffer. Fortunately on the average, pace was 4:58min/km and hence got me a time of 24m50s thereabout. This is a PR, beating my last best by about 50s. I had quite a fair bit of aches after this on my butt and legs in general!


Saturday was planned as a long ride day. Basically after a month plus of non long distance riding plus the accumulated fatigue from the Marathon + training, I need to put in the base miles again on the saddle. Target was to do a steady and comfortable pace for 100km or more. The plan was to do the Coastal-Loyang loop 3 times plus to and fro ECP.....estimated distance 104km. This is a super boring loop but does offer good training route with some 5% slopes albeit a bit short and long straights along the airport coastal road.

It was pretty tiring....although I did not push, I do feel that I am out of shape. After 2 loops on my own, saw Ben waiting for me for the 3rd loop at the start of Coastal road and I just told him that I'd stay behind him. He pulled decently, despite still recovering from his mc laden week at about 32-33km/h until the slopes. Met up with BP and some of the PC guys later on who were taking a breather after the slopes. Ben and I took the expo route back and had a quick drink at Siglap before heading back. Total mileage, just 95km.

The butt hurts after 2hrs on the saddle!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tecnotrat 'Saronni' and 'Others'

2011 NTU Bike Rally - Completed!

A Bad Week in Life, an OK Weekend for Cycling