JMFR 2011 (Janamanjung Friendship Ride)

So the crazy guys are up to it again this year, driving 500km+ up north for a bike ride and back again! This year we stayed at the same hotel (still looks to be one of the better ones in town...) but explored a bit more by patronizing a different massage shop and eating area.

The ride this year is FLAT. I do distinctly remember one slope though, where I raced up with Ben hot on my rear wheels (I got a shock when I saw him right behind.....he's sprinting up slopes now!). Other than that it was very nice, well controlled ride. I was mostly in the front group (trying not to get dropped ala last year) and the speed was regulated by a Police Proton Saga and a couple of Honda VFRs and Cubs. Speed was at a good pace, mostly about 35-37km/h. I got some really good training in peloton riding from this ride!

We did not go as a group but Ben and me were mostly together while BP and Mark as another another pair. The ride started, as last year, at the Stesen Janakuasa Sultan Azlan Shah. Weather was mostly good for the 1st 2 stages but for the last 2, it was really HOT. For me the worst stage was the 40km 3rd stage where the speed was ranging between 40-42km/h at the front group for the last 20km. It was tough, even drafting in a bunch of 50 people in front. I was hanging on to dear life and praying for the next stop to come soon.....at the stop, I recorded an ave speed of 34.1km/h after doing 125km. The final stage was a slow 25-28km/h speed regulated ride back to the power station.

EDIT : Forgot to note here that 2 crashes occurred at the front group. The first one was due to a puncture during the 2nd stage. It happened about 7-8m in front of me and took down 3 riders. Everyone stopped. I saw the tear on the tire...it was a Vittoria (eeks! I use this brand too!). The 2nd occurred at high speed during the 3rd stage I think not too far behind me as I hear a loud crash. I didn't see it (but some guys told me later that the guy was in a daze probably as he just dropped for no reason, and basically flew in the air, taking another 2 guys down with him). I slowed down right after I heard the crash but seeing the front group speeding away from me.....I decided to chase them down and got right back into the draft.

I am pleased with my showing here this year. In all honesty I did do some long distance preparation prior to this event. My goals were not to get dropped by the Peloton (and Ben, like last year!) and to try to finish every stage in the front group.

Here's my ride data and link to pics below!




Compared to last year, my average HR for the ride is much lower 153 vs 170+ I think! I think its due to the training for the past year and sticking to a big group. Last year, after getting dropped by the front group, I was left to cooperate with a group of 3-4 guys sometimes, which was really tiring. This time I just stuck to the front. Only did a bit of leading in the beginning when we were trying to catch up with the front group. It was also attributed to the fact that the terrain is flat this year plus speed was mostly regulated so not much chance of guys going ballistic.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tecnotrat 'Saronni' and 'Others'

2011 NTU Bike Rally - Completed!

A Bad Week in Life, an OK Weekend for Cycling