Road Bike Singlespeed Test!

On Sunday me and KL did a short loop around ECP-Loyang area (usual stuff). To make it more challenging and in anticipation of our fixed gear build, I decided to use a single speed on the entire ride. The route is mainly straight with a couple hills to boot towards the end.

I used 53t x 17t, giving a gear ratio similar to the 48t x 16t that I'm planning to have on the fixed gear. The straight road - no problems; with a cadence of around 90rpm, I was doing right about 34-35km/h. The hills - I thought it would be hard but on the contrary, no issues, in fact I think I can still use an even higher gear to complete the hills. I did not even stand up to pedal on the loyang hills. At Parbury road, a short 12% grade slope, no problems too. For this one I stood up and gunned up the slope, no dramas.

On this gearing I am very confident of doing Faber more so from the Morse road approach. Kg. Bahru approach....well....I think its possible for me and I am itching to try!!

The problem for this gearing is more on going downhill! Imagine spinning at 130rpm (do-able but only for a short period!) going downhill at 50km/h, should be fun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tecnotrat 'Saronni' and 'Others'

2011 NTU Bike Rally - Completed!

A Bad Week in Life, an OK Weekend for Cycling