Fixed Gear Build Update #1 : Jan 2010

The CiOCC fixed gear build is underway. Currently acquiring parts from all over the world to make this build reality. The track frame will be built with predominantly Japanese Parts. Some may say its heresy on an Italian frame but like I care! (current Colnago is built on Shimano Ultegra SL/Dura-Ace Mix).

So far have managed to secure mostly vintage Shimano/Japanese parts, namely :-

- Shimano 600 120mm stem (from my parts bin)
- Shimano 600 27.1 Aero Seatpost (from my parts bin)
- Shimano 600 Aero Pedals + Toe Clips (Ebay)
- Shimano Exage Action Aero Brake Levers (LBS)
- Shimano Sante Crank (from my parts bin)
- Shimano Dura Ace NOS 1" Threaded Headset (TotalCycling)
- Shimano Dura Ace NJS Stamped 16t 1/8" Fixed Cog (LBS)
- ALPs Industrial 'Road Champion' Handlebar NOS 42cm (LBS)

Other components
- San Marco Rolls Saddle (Ebay)

Pending/In Consideration
- Shimano Dura-Ace 7600 Track Hubs laced to Mavic Open Pros (Velomine) OR
- Formula/Velocity Deep-V wheelset (SGD200 cheaper!)

I have a real headache on the chainline.

I know the rear hub will just about require 42mm chainline but I am not sure how to achieve this with my Sante crank. The current bottom bracket I have is 70-115 which is quite long, yielding a 44-45mm inner chainring chainline, which is ok I guess (anything below 2mm with 1/8" drivetrain should be fine..). However, I would ultimately like to use the outer chainring. This could be possible with a 103mm BB which is EXPENSIVE but available but therein lies another problem; the chainstay may not have sufficient clearance for the relatively 'straight' Sante crank which is really a road-double crank.

I guess I'll get all the parts in and leave the drivetrain tweak to an old LBS we found (a gem and we shall not reveal it for we are selfish animals) around town.

Building a fixed gear is really more challenging than a road bike (which is more or less text book). The irony is; all chain-driven bikes were originally built as fixed gears! I guess technology made us forget about stuff.

Some pics from the net on the parts I acquired (admire the beauty of Shimano vintage parts!)

Shimano Sante FC-5000 Cranks : Introduced in the in 1998 but lived a short life. It was positioned between 600 and Dura-Ace as sort of a "beautiful yet performance oriented" groupset. Apparently the pearl white scheme was not the rage back then! This came with the Saronni bike I bought last year. The pearl white finish is in pristine condition despite its age and used history!


Shimano Exage Sport Brake Levers BL-351 : Exage group is a notch lower than 105. This lever is probably from 1990 or so. Nice finish (but not sure if it'll last!) and even has a brake release catch on the lever itself (which Campy copied! I think...). This is NOS obtained from a LBS.


Shimano Dura Ace 7410 1" Threaded headset : The cream of the crop, top of the line headset from Shimano. These are out of production and cost me quite a fair bit to procure. Luckily an online store has some left as NOS. My Record headset on the Colnago is nothing compared to this one.


Shimano Dura Ace Track Cogs : Got these from the same LBS. What a find! These go for at least SGD50 shipped from Ebay and I got it for less than half that amount. NOS! Its the only part on this bike with the NJS stamp (Japanese Keirin Association).


Shimano 600 120mm Stem : Mine does not have the AX/DX stamp on it so its likely an older model compared to the one in the pic above. These are some of the most beautifully finished and thoughtfully designed stems ever, bar none in my book. These were made by Nitto for Shimano and they do fetch a hefty price in the used market as well.


Shimano 600 Aero Seatpost : The Aero series seat post from Shimano of the 80's to me is the best looking/finished seat post ever produced. Solid, thick and reassuring. Its kinda short though so I hope it will be ok for me on this build!! I've had this for 2 years!


Shimano 600 Aero Pedals : I passed on the offer from the LBS for a similar A550 pedal (lower group than 105) and went on to bid for an NOS pair...the toe clips I got NOS from the LBS but I'm still waiting for the pedals to arrive. None of those clunky square pedals!


Selle San Marco Rolls : This is a highly rated saddle that did not change in design since the 80s. Supposedly comfortable and wears very well. Got this used off Ebay.

If Shimano made a saddle I would have gotten it for this build!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tecnotrat 'Saronni' and 'Others'

2011 NTU Bike Rally - Completed!

A Bad Week in Life, an OK Weekend for Cycling