Weekend Rides and Seat Post problems

I've been struggling with some knee sore issues since I got the bike.

On Thurs last week, went for a nite ride with Alu man. My bike was using the Shimano 600 Aero post with a max extension of only 14cm. I pushed it up to 14.5. Was not good, as I found the saddle to be too low, very apparent on the amount of strain I could feel on my quads and knees.

So I put back the el-cheapo seatpost from my GT which I could extend up to 16cm. I had the post up to 15cm and rode on Sat morning. At first it felt quite good but found that the post has been slipping a bit after a while. I stopped to raise the post back to 15-16cm and PIAK! the binder bolt broke. Had to cycle back home to 'exchange' with the bolt from the Saronni, works great. At 15.5cm, it rides quite ok, no sore and best of all, no lower back pain! BUT the damn post still slips in a bit. I'm down to my last binder bolt so I'm not keen in tightening too much!

On Sun, I had the post up to 16cm, started off feeling 'quite high' but after a couple a minutes, the higher height seemed to make sense to the legs and lower body. However, it was a bad day for me as I bonked when approaching Mandai where everyone tore me on the slope. I tried to accelerate to lead so everyone will follow the chase but acceleration winded down fast to my surprise. Could be I did not eat anything this morning prior to the ride.....

This slipping seat post thing is driving me nuts for the past 2 weeks and the shimano one that I loved is just too short for me. So, I ebayed a Velo Orange poste with extra set back (30mm!!) which looked very sweet albeit a little bit used, for about 70 bucks, shipped.

254g for 300mm 27.2, not too bad and way longer and lighter than the Shimano, and looks good too. I got it cut down to 270mm cos I could not get it to the usable height due to the profiled tubes on my Master seat-tube. Can't wait to get it installed and ride!!! After I get some spare binder bolts!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tecnotrat 'Saronni' and 'Others'

2011 NTU Bike Rally - Completed!

A Bad Week in Life, an OK Weekend for Cycling