Saddle Height (Saddle to Pedal)

So I've been tinkering a little on the setup. My measured inseam is 86cm and I presume this is quite an accurate measurement.

Saddle to Pedal based on 109% Hamley method is 93.74cm.
Saddle to BB based on Lemond is 76cm.

My Shimano seat post is too short (so whats news??) and the max from rail clamp to min insertion point is just 14cm. The measurement on my frame:-

Saddle to BB : 3.5cm (Fizik) + 14cm (Seatpost) + 57.5cm (seat tube BB to top) = 75cm
Saddle to Pedal : 75cm + 17.25 (Crank Length) = 92.25cm

I'm 1cm short of Lemond and a hefty 1.74cm short of Hamley. The only answer : get a longer seat post or RISK by raising the seat another .5-1cm or so to test. I've just ordered a Velo Orange Grand Cru post with 30mm set back and 300mm length over ebay for this.

I did a 30km test ride yesterday on the 92.25cm S to P measurement. The saddle feels a bit low and although it was confortable when starting out, I started to get slight knee sore after a couple of kms....the feeling was as if the seat post slipped (which it didn't) and got a lot shorter in height. So my guess is I need at least another 2cm of height and this can only be achieved without risk by having a longer seat post!

Some other things to take note from the ride as well :-

- no lower back ache/sore
- no numbness in fingers despite lowered stem
- I can't balance without hands anymore!
- tilted handlebar up a little bit seems to give a more comfortable reach to the hoods

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tecnotrat 'Saronni' and 'Others'

2011 NTU Bike Rally - Completed!

A Bad Week in Life, an OK Weekend for Cycling