The Ride, Aftermath and Now

Absolutely lovely.

The frame felt stiff yet confortable. I can go through speed bumps along Changi Coast Road at 30km/h without the risk of fracturing by sit-bones. The bike was surprisingly responsive. Acceleration is not as brisk as the lighter GT but good enough. On the first 2 occasions, I managed to keep up (for most of the journey) with my friend on a Pina Banesto averaging 30kmh with some up to 36kmh short sprints. But them I must admit, thanks to him being in front, I was safely in his slipstream....it could be all different with if I had to lead.

Went cycling twice through the Changi prison route as well...4 uphills and downhills. I managed to climb those hills without even once getting out of the saddle on the Saronni, I think its good considering its quite a heavy setup with me on it and that its only my 4th ride outing since 3 years ago. See the route here.

However, couple of days later.....my left knee went into limp mode. The pain was so excruciating I had to go on painkillers for a whole week. The sports doctor told me I try to do too much too fast and that I should have practice more before attempting hill climbs. I tend to forget that I am 36 this year and that the last time I cycled laboriously was almost 10 years ago. The mind was willing but the body was not.....

Well, its been 3 weeks since I stopped riding but against doctor's orders, I rode again last weekend. Short 30km ride. I averaged 25-28km/h on the straights. Not sure why but i think the slight pain on the knee attributed to this....just could not get up to the 30km/h speed that I did the first 2 occasions....funny thing was whenever a large truck passes me, on the same cadence and gear position, I could go to 32km/h quite effortlessly.

My absolute goal will be to hit 35km/h in another 3-4 practice sessions. If I can maintain this speed up and down the straight portion of the Changi Coast Road, this will be a good first step!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tecnotrat 'Saronni' and 'Others'

2011 NTU Bike Rally - Completed!

Desaru Loop on Fixed Gear Power!