Tour de Bintan 2011 -a gist on suffering

Finally, this is OVER. Anticipation of this event was quite bothersome (well, most events to me are anyway!) and I am so glad that I managed to complete this. Quite frankly, prior to the race, I was pretty confident on qualifying for Cat 3's 'Premier Top 80' since by last year's data, even a 6hr completion of Day 1 could have qualified.

Oh, I WAS SO WRONG!

What I did not anticipate though, was that this year, the participants ballooned more than two-fold. Veterans were also back for blood (training at site!) plus due to Cat 1 and 2 being filled up quite early, some super riders had to settle for Cat 3. So we really had a mixed group in Cat 3. Needless to say, I was happy to complete all 3 stages safely, still in one piece. The rolling hills at Bintan are B.R.U.T.A.L.....1411m ascent over 154km is no joke. To complete the route leisurely is already quite a mammoth task. To complete it in a race situation, it takes a lot of guts. So real kudos to RYO and BEN (aka STEFAN  for the super achievement.

I will never forget the race atmosphere (my first!). TdB is a big event to Bintaners...banners were all about the jetty area on this event. Kids in their school uniforms were out in numbers waving the Indonesian flag...urging us to go on, shouting "Kayuh! Kayuh" (translated "Pedal! Pedal!"). It was wonderful. Support and planning for the event were magnificent. Even though it was specifically noted that Cat 3 will not get mobile water support, I was able to flag down support vehicles and even the local police to pass new water bottles to me!


Day 0 : Getting to the Ferry!

I still got my ass to work on Friday morning to settle some customer queries (winding down a company is quite hassle, apparently!) but managed to meet Ryo for the ride to TMFT (Tanah Merah Ferry Terminal) at 2.30pm sharp below my block. It was drizzling a bit but we thought that it was just the tail-end of the heavy rain started hours ago. At Coastal mid-way it started to pour, forcing us to a shelter. The rain did not let up much and we continued on towards the end of Coastal....to Changi Ferry Terminal!! All that rain and we went to the wrong terminal. TMFT was just at the start of Coastal! Anyway, felt really stupid but everything else was less dramatic.

Got our bikes wrapped in bubble pack (mine was dating back to pre-TOP 2010 days!!) checked in and met up with Stefan who was already at the departure gate. The ferry ride was pretty comfortable and we got to our nice little quite at Nirwana Gardens at about 6pm. Attended the briefing, did some quick adjustments to the bike and went for a hearty buffet dinner at the hotel.

Ah Lee and Colnie at the Bike Depot

Probably a million dollars worth of bikes here...

Make sure everything works!!

Ryo the Mechanic


Day 2 (Saturday) - STAGE 1

Starting still confident....after 8-9 slopes/hills and no signs of it letting up, I knew I was in trouble. At 40km point, ave speed was still about 35km/h for the peloton and I was fast losing my legs. Eventually got dropped from the first peloton AND shortly after, 2nd peloton. All this in some serious torrential rain. The skies cleared up as we reached Trikora beach, which had flatter terrain where it started to get really hot!

Ryo passed me somewhere about the mid-point (he punctured his tire at around 20km I think), when the first group from Challenger category passed me, he was in that peloton. I chased for some distance and then died....legs just left with too little, even to follow. I was by myself all the way back to Finish, suffering with some other loners. It was pretty tough to form up small groups due to the undulating terrain as it won't stick after a few ups and downs.

I was in survival mode and fighting off cramps by spraying water at the cramp area....was so desperate at one stage that I sprayed my isotonic drink on the affected areas! up a 13% slope...I asked a police car for water and they kindly exchange bottles for me! The last 5km or so, it started raining very heavily, with headwind and water pricking my face like needles. The sudden surge of cold water felt good and energy returned for the final km's. Finished position 177 with a time of 5hr 22mins, ave speed was 28.5km/h. About 99 people from Cat 3 DNF (did not finish) from a total of about 360 people.

It was a humbling experience. I was glad to just have completed and managed to finish sort of mid-table of the Cat 3 lot. What surprised me was that Ryo, who completed it in 4hr 48mins got position 119 and did not qualify for the 'Premier 80'! It was pretty shocking to me as he did 33+km.h average on the course which is super feat. Stefan did well too and completed the full course!


  
All Smileys before the Torture

Busted Cannondale from Stage 1, bad publicity man.....


Day 3 (Sunday) - STAGE 2

Started well but the weather got HOT really fast. 2 bottles were not sufficient for me. The hills were still bad but better than the previous day. I managed to stay with the Peloton till about 40km mark where up a steep slope, the peloton ground to a halt. I brushed the wheels of the guy in front who slowed down too much too fast and I lost balance. Had to stop mid slope (10% grade!) while the peloton rolled by.

I gave chase at 40+km/h on a flat and managed to catch the tail of the peloton. An entire train of guys were right behind me and as I reached the tail, some guys passed to thank me! but after that effort I was GONE. So, I was dropped at 50km point and once again on my own. It was tough and I had no water left in the final 10km or so.

So near yet so far....thank goodness I managed to flag down a support vehicle and exchanged bottles. Good thing cos' soon my thighs were starting to cramp and the cold water was used to cool down those aching muscles. Approaching the sprint finish, I went up to one guy who was in front of me and I told him to sprint with me for the last 150m or so.....so we went at it with our dead legs and I lost. Completed in 2hr 17mins ave speed of 31.5km/h.



Day 3 (Sunday) - STAGE 3

My proudest stage as I kept at the front group for the entire ride. Decent speed but horrible heat. When the boards signalling 2km left appeared, everyone sprinted......wow, I had nothing left but I tried as best I could....I could see Ryo passing me from the left standing and I shouted "Go Ryo!" and the rest looked at me weird.

Completed in 1hr 08mins with average speed of 33.7km/h (I think there's some issues with the time indicated in the results for most of cat 3 guys for this stage, not sure if there was time penalty added to everyone?? mine was recorded as 1hr 33mins).


Finisher's Medal! 

Lunch after post Suffer Fest

Starting point at Nirwana Gardens


So there you have it. My little Sufferfest over the weekend. Its the most expensive sufferfest ever. I shall try again next year but with better/realistic expectations!

My HR monitor got penetrated with water from the first day and ceased to work for stage 2 and 3. So I rode 'blind' for stage 2 and 3....probably a good thing!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tecnotrat 'Saronni' and 'Others'

2011 NTU Bike Rally - Completed!

A Bad Week in Life, an OK Weekend for Cycling