2010/11 Fitness & Exercise Snapshot

So 2010 has been quite a year for me in terms of exercising. On the cycling front, I toiled on a fixed gear and later on a SS. Did a lot of Faber climbing earlier in the year and speedwork towards the later part of the year. Got myself a 'fast' bike which actually made me push harder for some reason.

Also, I started running again, this time more regularly. I started to run and cycle even on weekdays from mid of 2010 onwards. For this I only have Ryo to thank as he accompanied me (or rather encouraged!) for many of the crazy hours morning weekday rides and run (I've since given up on running with him as it would leave me with a heart attack). My current regime : weekends : cycle, weekdays : run.....if I can, squeeze in a 30km base or TT-like ride right in between the runs (but this is pushing it for me!)



I quit smoking as well in the beginning of June...see the weight spike in June 2010....yup that gave me a jolt and right before TOP! I conquered the 3 peaks at 90kg on loaded steel bike. There is improvement in my power output (at least 50-60W within a year) which I am pretty pleased with, while maintaining pretty much the same average HR (actually about 5-6% ave HR increase due to increased intensity per workout). But look at the calories burned.....and how it coincides with weight loss!! It is also apparent to me that weight loss started only after I upped my ante in running. Right now it somewhat stuck (from going down! never an issue getting the weight up) at 85-86kg range.

Despite all the highlights and trips from last year.....quitting smoking remains the single most difficult activity of last year. The first month was terrible. TOP was godsend and it took my mind off it but at time nearly pulled me back into the hole as well.

So how I perceive my fitness to be now? I think I feel much better without the smokes....in the beginning it was as if there was no difference but I guess it takes a while (and still in the process) for my system to repair itself after the years of probable damage that I inflicted on it by smoking. I feel better riding as well, stronger, more determined mentally and it shows in those graphs. The increase exercise also takes it toll on my body it seems..some pain on my right leg after I run sometimes and also now currently sporting (probably) tendonitis on my right elbow/arm. The leg, its due to running and its less of an issue now with me cutting down to only 2 x 5km per week. As for the tendonitis....I'm kinda suspecting its the fact that I'm putting a lot pressure on my arms when riding due to the very low handlebar position but it could jolly well be the position of my mouse in the office or home too!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tecnotrat 'Saronni' and 'Others'

2011 NTU Bike Rally - Completed!

A Bad Week in Life, an OK Weekend for Cycling