A New Personal Best and Thoughts

Did a non-stop solo 30km ride (usual ECP-Changi Coast Road Route) on Sunday morning. Managed to complete 29km in 1hour 4mins.....that's an average speed of 27.2km/h. I'm quite happy with this and I think I'm on my way to getting it below an hour pretty soon. Really wished I could cycle more than I am doing now.

Next week I shall try the Changi Prison hills. Still have a slight phobia. Anyway, have been reading up abit regarding crank arm length.....apparently longer cranks help in climbs. I'm currently using 170mm cranks....fit wise, its shorted than recommended : 172.5mm. I did try my friend's 172.5mm cranks on his 56cm frame. It was really comfortable but I was not too keen on the pedalling motion it offerred. It seems harder to cycle with a higher cadence, which I am really trying to improve these days (and to much success, I now cycle at least 70-80rpms on average and could spin to to 100rpms on short bursts). With the longer cranks it did feel like I had to use a tad more leg power to accelerate...which was weird.

Anyways, I'm gonna be sticking to the 170mm for quite a while as I quite enjoy spinning it up.

A note on cycling solo : it was tough for me to maintain a constant 31-32km/h at the 6km + 6km straight stretch of the road. I could never imagine that wind resistance can be such a factor...I say this because I have no problems whatsoever, trailing a faster rider from behind between speeds of 35-40km/h!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tecnotrat 'Saronni' and 'Others'

2011 NTU Bike Rally - Completed!

A Bad Week in Life, an OK Weekend for Cycling