Arrrgh! .... broken spoke!

Suffered a broken spoke on my usual Sunday ride.....was doing ok tailing my buddies between 38-40km/h along Changi Coast Road but as we slowed down to about 30km/h and heading towards Changi Village I heard a faint 'twing!'. Immediately I thought about a broken spoke. As I was cycling i did a quick look at the rear wheel and it was slightly untrue so I stopped to check. Confirmed, and I think it was exactly at the spot where I thought the spoke tension was a little bit slack (rear wheel, non-drive side).



As my buddies went onwards, oblivious to my predicament, I simply text them to go ahead and I will go cycle back slowly. Think I was going between 26-30km/h easily....cos they turned back from Changi village and never did caught up to me!

Well on one hand I'm quite disappointed with the broken spoke only after about 250km which is very very bad in my opinion. I need the wheelbuilder to explain to me how this could happen. At this point I could think of nothing else except poor spoke quality on that particular spoke.....or his skill is tensioning is just not up to the standard I've came to learn about from over the internet. Either way, I hope he gives a good explanation. On the other hand....had it been a lesser spoked wheel, something much worse could have happened!

Imagine this happened on route to Desaru....that will suck big time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tecnotrat 'Saronni' and 'Others'

2011 NTU Bike Rally - Completed!

A Bad Week in Life, an OK Weekend for Cycling