Weekend Ride (13 & 14th September 2008)

Went for the usual ride on Sat with a friend using a Titanium frame (light!). Same route from ECP Macs to the end of Changi Coast Road and back (total 30km). This was an easy ride and my friend was really improving his stamina considering its only his first month riding a road bike. We did a good 28-30km/h on Changi Coast until he pulled a hamstring. Told him not to use his calf too much while pedalling and focus more on the thighs.

We swapped shoes and for the first time I rode a tTitanium frame! It is a 56cm (compared to my 54cm steel) so although its the ideal size for me based on KOPS, I feel that is not very efficient for me. Its very comfortable though but maybe the handlebar reach were a bit too high and too far for my liking. I find it more difficult to accelerate fast. Likely just be a bike-fitting issue, serving different 'purposes'. On the other hand, my friend found my '2-3kg more heavy' steel frame to be more 'eager' to accelerate and comfortable.

On Sun, a more 'serious' ride ensued. My usual kaki with his Pinarello Banesto (steel with full chorus components) and his friend joined us (Look 585 Carbon frame with full Record Components). We went quite fast, a steady 30km/h on the straight road. I tried my hand at leading the small group. Gosh, there is a world of difference between leading and following! The wind resistance really slows you down up front. Managed to do a short stint at 35km/h up to the end of Changi Coast Road. For obvious reasons, I could not lead after that....:)

On the way back we took a steady 30-32km/h with the Pina leading, followed by the Look and me steel on the tail end. I think I should be able to sustain 35km/h 'trailing' behind someone, along the full stretch and back of that straight road (about 10-11km) but not by leading.....yet.

So far, I'm pleased with the improvements I have made since I started cycling again, more so due to the fact I only get to do it twice a week and even more so, on the heavy vintage steel that I'm riding on.

Simply feels fabulous.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tecnotrat 'Saronni' and 'Others'

2011 NTU Bike Rally - Completed!

A Bad Week in Life, an OK Weekend for Cycling