Dura Ace 7900 Installed - First 30km Ride

I could not wait!! The 7900 series look very good (high poser value IMO) and getting Ultegra Di2 would mean some wait, more money spent and the RD and FD are kinda chunky as well (not to mention heavier, not that it matters much...). Hey, economic times are not too good.....better not to spend uncontrollably!

Pretty much did my install within 3+ hours, including stripping the entire 7800 group off the bike. Could not find my DA grease!!

First Shimano CF Levers (I think!)


Temporary mess




Everything 7800 OFF - 7900 Crank ON


DONE - except the brakes.....time for dinner!

Test Ride this morning

Did the usual 30km route, not going all out for a speed challenge but was doing rather well. The 2nd half was a bit tiring. Drafted about 3km a tri-bike...fella was strong going 38+km/h into headwind. I struggled, no thanks to my short KL trip and those great fatty food!

Anyway, the difference is minimal compared to 7800. In fact the shifting while very smooth, the action is not as light as before. Shifting is fantastic and quite honestly I don't think I'll miss the 3 gear swipe anytime soon. Drivetrain is pretty quiet as well and I'm not even using the DA chain and Cassette. Which reminds me, I need to oil the chain!

There is however noticeable improvement in braking! I can modulate braking much better and the grip onto my fat HEDs is simply much better than the 7800. Ergonomics is very much improved with the new shifters. Its quite 'thick' but wow, resting the palms there during a ride was a revelation. In combination with the thick PRO VIBE 7s, I have a big big flat platform from the bends to the hoods to rest my hands. Great!

Pretty decent ride out, there are indeed improvements from 7900 to 7800 based on this ride...mainly in ergonomics of the shifters, shifting smoothness and more noticeably; Braking. Oh yes, the poser value is very high.....just look at those cranks!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tecnotrat 'Saronni' and 'Others'

2011 NTU Bike Rally - Completed!

A Bad Week in Life, an OK Weekend for Cycling