Jackal's Faber

We don't have much choices when it came to hill riding in Singapore.

There's no such thing like a slow 30km climb to 1000m......the best offered over here is Mt. Faber. Period. 1.5km up hill to 90m and then down 1.5km. Its a 3km loop where one would have gained 90m of elevation and lost it again all under 10mins, with a max grade of 11% or 12% depending on which uphill approach (in contrast, the climb to Genting Highlands is 30km whereby the killer last 5km offers slopes up to 15% grade!!).

My fear for hills are behind me (I had a bad knee injury from Changi Hills on my 2nd day of riding my new bike back in mid 2008 which had me taking painkillers and visiting the sports doctor) and I really like going up hills (not sprinting) and wish I could do longer hills. So I jumped on my bike one morning last month and thought maybe Faber would be a good. Previously I did manage 2 rounds and it was quite tiring, but that was back when I tried to follow faster riders up!

So for this trip, I did 6 rounds. It was a revelation. It wasn't a big deal doing it on my own pace. After the 6th round, I felt I could do 10 or perhaps 15 more, no problem. No time! Need to be back home! My own pace means completing one loop from base to base in 10 minutes flat. In contrast the fastest I've even been for a loop was like slightly below 9 mins chasing Mark!

I managed 11 rounds last weekend and it was not as tiring as I have expected it to be. Again, going at my own pace of 10mins per loop flat. It was great sucking in the hill-air and watching the sun rise as you climb up via Morse rd approach. Ben and KL joined for the last 3 rounds. On this trip I did 8 rounds non-stop, feet never touched the ground from the first get-go. Afterwhich stopped at Kg. Bahru Faber entrance to wait for Ben. Total 900m worth of ascent.

I want this to be a once a month thing for me for starters. Maybe as a first step try to go a little faster then soon after, adding more loops.

This gives a great SAW TOOTH plot on the Edge!


Hope this will set in motion to achieve possible targets for 2010 ..... Fraser's Hill, Cameron Highlands and Genting Highlands.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tecnotrat 'Saronni' and 'Others'

2011 NTU Bike Rally - Completed!

A Bad Week in Life, an OK Weekend for Cycling