Eventless Weekend followed by Desaru Punishment

Caught the flu, fever, sore throat bug on Friday and had to give all cycling activities over the weekend a miss. It was miserable but on the flip side, I got up early and took my kids out the KFC for breakfast....they absolutely loved it. Not possible if I cycled! Felt better on Sunday so I went for a short morning run. Intended to do 5km but at the 4.5km point, high tide! I had to detour to take a leak at Macs. Such a shame...I was doing like 5.53min/km average before the tide!

Anyway, all that rest over the weekend was really to get myself in ok condition to ride Desaru with JM. Monday morning, felt much better at 5am. It was raining. Not too heavy. I rode to the jetty in the rain....was pretty much determined, rain or shine. Good thing was : JM was also game. I believe most would have chickened out at the sight of rain but not this guy. He's mad. Just like me.

I could feel that my legs were not 100% and sore throat still bugging me (had strepsils with me! contains sugar for energy) but good to go. I know I won't be doing great time anyway....just to spend more time on the saddle and ride 'in a foreign land'. We kicked off at 8.30am. As usual JM could keep the pace well with his jogging shoes. He had his first hand experience of the rolling hills of Desaru.....a rude awakening I suppose! We did well and reached Petronas (non stop from Jetty) where we rested a while. On the route back using the coastal road.....the headwinds were terrible (18km/h it seems). I tried to block the wind but only managed to do so at a crawling speed of 24-25km/h for the longest time. This went on pretty much all way to the Jetty!! Did the loop in pretty decent time actually, reached the Jetty at 12.30pm. Only with 2 stops short stops in between (on at Petronas, another at the coastal stretch)

All in all, I'm happy. Riding in Malaysia always makes me happy. Plus being able to bring a friend over for a ride (first with a road bike on this loop) is always an honour. Suffering details as below. Total distance covered today : 135km



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tecnotrat 'Saronni' and 'Others'

2011 NTU Bike Rally - Completed!

A Bad Week in Life, an OK Weekend for Cycling