Longer Stem on my Saronni

For weeks now I've been fiddling with my setup and really find that the frame is likely a size too small for me. Lots of forum guys are advising me to change the frame but to me that's not an option since I love this frame! Anyhow, its only slightly too small for me and I did find the 56cm frame of Mr.Ti, a bit 'too big'. Its a funny feeling and I can't really describe it.

On my 100mm stem, I had my saddle way back and a considerably set-back campy post, in order to get myself a lower profile but I still had some problems getting my arms bent more when on the hoods. I just don't feel as 'stretched out' as I would like to be. Cramp is the word.

After much Ebay hunting and local shops search, Mr.Ti suggested that I checked out TR bikes. Well, lucky me, they had a NOS 120mm Shimano 600 quill stem, exactly the same type as mine, except a bit longer. Well, why this stem you might say? Its simple to me, the most beautiful stem ever made, and the hidden bolt (for both handle and steerer) is unique to this type of stem. Apparently commissioned by Shimano and made by the famous Nitto in Japan.

No problems installing it (though I must say compared to today's stems, its a lot harder). I put it to the maximum allowable height as per the last stem. Result? more confortable than before and its great to have that 'stretched out' feeling when riding. I now can get a lower profile without getting to the drops (which I hate) by simply bending my elbows. Also, I am now able to move my saddle about 1cm+ to the front. So not bad, I manage to make a fit on an non-ideal sized bike (to begin with its only slightly smaller!)

Here a after/before pic....notice the saddle and obvious handlebar position. Incidentally, these stems are available up to 140mm (!!).




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tecnotrat 'Saronni' and 'Others'

2011 NTU Bike Rally - Completed!

A Bad Week in Life, an OK Weekend for Cycling